Support Our Work!
I am deeply humbled by the faith you have placed in me, and I am so excited about the next 4 years on the State Board of Education. There is so much more work to be done!
In the next four years, I will be focused on protecting public education for all Texans. Join me in fighting for a moratorium on all charters and expansions, equitable funding for all classrooms regardless of zip code, and eliminating punitive consequences from standardized tests.
The State of Texas does not provide a salary nor a stipend for TXSBOE Members. Every donation helps!
If you are unable to attend Public Hearings and want to submit your testimony,
please email your PDF to SBOESupport@tea.texas.gov / Phone: (512) 463-9007 / Fax: (512) 936-4319
please email your PDF to SBOESupport@tea.texas.gov / Phone: (512) 463-9007 / Fax: (512) 936-4319
16 Nov - 1 PM
- Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Commissioner's Comments
- Report from the Commissioner of Education Regarding Instructional Materials Offered for Adoption under Proclamation 2022 - Health & PE
- Implementation of Senate Bill (SB) 1232, 87th Legislature, Regular Session, 2021 - PSF Corporation
- Consideration of Amendment to Texas Certificate of High School Equivalency Contract
- Discussion of Proposed Amendments to 19 TAC Chapter 120, Other Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills, Subchapter A, Character Traits
17 Nov - 9 AM
- Commissioner's Comments
- Proposed New 19 TAC Chapter 112, Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for Science, Subchapter A, Elementary, §§112.1-112.7, and Subchapter B, Middle
School, §§112.25-112.28 (Second Reading and Final Adoption)
- Proposed New 19 TAC Chapter 127, Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for Career Development, Subchapter G, Education and Training; Subchapter I,
Health Science; Subchapter J, Hospitality and Tourism; Subchapter M, Law and Public Service; and Subchapter O, Science, Technology, Engineering, and
Mathematics (Second Reading and Final Adoption)
- Proposed Repeal of 19 TAC Chapter 130, Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for Career and Technical Education (First Reading and Filing Authorization)
- Discussion of Proposed Amendments to 19 TAC Chapter 74, Curriculum Requirements, Subchapter B, Graduation Requirements
- Update on Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) Review
- Discussion on Pending Litigation
18 Nov - 9 AM (Committee Meetings)
- Committee on Instruction
- Committee on School Initiatives
- Committee on School Finance / Permanents School Fund
19 Nov - 9 AM
Resolution and Presentations
- Resolution honoring the 2021 Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) state finalists
- 2021 Texas Secondary Teacher of the Year, Anthony Lopez-Waste
- 2021 Texas Elementary Teacher of the Year, Eric Hale
- Portrait unveiling for former Commissioner of Education Michael L. Williams
Committee on Instruction
- Public Hearing on revising the Dyslexia Handbook
- Action | 2nd Reading and Final Adoption of the revised Dyslexia Handbook
- Consent Agenda Action | Second Reading and Filing Adoption of Proposed Repeal of 19 TAC Chapter 89, Adaptations for Special Populations, Subchapter D, Special Education Services and Settings, §89.61, Contracting for Residential Educational Placements for Students with Disabilities, and §89.63, Instructional Arrangements and Settings
- Consent Agenda Action | Approval of Updates and Substitutions to Adopted Instructional Materials
- Action | Report from the Commissioner of Education Regarding Updated Texas Prekindergarten Guidelines Alignment for Adopted Instructional Materials
- Discussion | Rule Review of 19 TAC Chapter 74, Curriculum Requirements
- TEA Commissioner's Comments
- Action | Proposed changes to CTE: Education and Training, Health Science, Hospitality and Tourism, Law and Public Service, and STEM https://tea.texas.gov/academics/curriculum-standards/teks-review/2021-cte-teks-review-work-group-drafts
- Action | K-8 Science
- Discussion/No Action | Proclamation 2022 Materials presentation
- Action | Update on TEKS and ELPS
- Discussion/No Action | Discussion of 19 TAC Chapter 101, Assessment, Subchapter A, General Provisions, Subchapter B, Implementation of Assessments, and Subchapter C, Local Option. *The TXSBOE is charged with the Assessment Program, however, no one can clearly explain what the "program" means. What are the authorities and oversight that the TXSBOE has?
- Discussion of Pending Litigation
31 Aug - Live Stream or Watch Later On-Demand
- Discussion/No Action | CTE Public Hearing: Education and Training, Health Science, Hospitality and Tourism, Law and Public Service, and STEM
- Discussion/No Action | K-8 Science Public Hearing: Elementary and Middle School
- Discussion/No Action | Proclamation 2022 Public Hearing: Health Education and Physical Education instructional materials
- Public Hearing: Proposed Amendments to Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for Career and Technical Education (view)
- Public Hearing: Consideration of the Commissioner of Education’s Generation 26 Open-Enrollment Charter School Proposals (view)
- Action: Proposed New Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for Science (view)
- Discussion: Discussion of Proposed New TEKS for Elementary Science (view)
- Discussion: Proposed Amendments to TEKS for Career and Technical Education (view)
- Discussion: Commissioner's Comments (view discussion)
MY DISCUSSION / QUESTIONS TO COMMISSIONER MORATH:
- Action: Consideration of the Generation 26 Charter Proposals (view)
MOTION ON CHARTER APPLICANT TESTIMONY - passed without objection
- Discussion: Legislative Update (view)
- Committee on Instruction: Public Hearing on the State's Dyslexia Handbook (view hearing and discussion)
- You can view the current version of the Dyslexia Handbook - English and Spanish, here: Dyslexia Handbook
- Click here for the draft of proposed revisions to the Dyslexia Handbook and Summary Document to outline the proposed revisions
- Committee on School Finance / Permanent School Fund
- Committee on School Initiatives
- Student Heroes Resolution (view)
- Approval of Consent Agenda
- Second Reading and Final Adoption of High School Science TEKS
- Consideration of the Commissioner of Education’s 26th Year of New Charter Proposals
- Update on TEKS Review
14 April 2021
- Commissioner's Comments can be viewed here.
- ACTION ITEM - First Reading and Filing Authorization of Science HS TEKS (Aquatic Science, Astronomy, Earth Systems Science, and Environmental Systems). There were a few amendments; see posted amendments for public comment soon.
- ACTION ITEM - Proclamation 2022, calling for instructional materials for Health and Physical Education. Majority support.
- ACTION ITEM - Ratifying the report from the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills and Texas Prekindergarten Guidelines review committees regarding materials that were submitted for the Texas Resource Review (TRR). 9 members ratified, I voted against. The TRR eliminates the TXSBOE public vetting process - excluding public hearings and public testimonies.
- ACTION ITEM - TXSBOE receives an update on (and has the opportunity to provide additional guidance to) TEKS and ELPS review work groups. The board will also have an opportunity to take action on the schedule for review and revision of the TEKS and the review and adoption cycle for instructional materials aligned to revised TEKS. Unanimous support.
- ACTION ITEM - TEA briefs the TXSBOE on the responses to the Texas Certificate of High School Equivalency Request for Proposals (RFP) that was issued to solicit test providers relating to 19 Texas Administrative Code (TAC) Chapter 89, Texas Certificate of High School Equivalency and for the TXSBOE to approve recommended test provider(s). Current providers continue through August 2021. As of 1 Sep 2021, the sole provider in Texas will be GED Test Prep. This also impacts options under Path2Diploma (sunsetting in 2023).
- ACTION ITEM - Texas Government Code (TGC), §2001.039, establishes a four-year rule review cycle for all state agency rules, including TXSBOE rules. The rules being reviewed address the development and administration of tests, voluntary assessment of private school students, the schedule for the release of tests, and administration and reporting of group-administered achievement tests.
- DISCUSSION ITEM - Staff updates TXSBOE updates on Science TEKS (K-8)
- DISCUSSION ITEM - Pending Litigation
Texas State Board of Education
William B. Travis Building
1701 N. Congress Avenue, Austin, Texas
How to participate:
Click here for the TXSBOE Podcasts
26 January 2021 ~ Texas State Board of Education General Meeting
First order of business is swearing-in the newly elected and re-elected Texas State Board of Education Members:
2. Review / Revise the TXSBOE Board Organization (Operating Rules)
3. Election of State Board of Education Officers
- Keven Ellis (R - Lufkin) is the Governor appointed Chair.
- Member Pam Little ( R- Fairview) is the newly elected Vice Chair.
- I am the re-elected Secretary.
4. Announcement of Membership of Committees, click here for details.
Committee of the Full Board
- TEKS Updates and State Board of Educator Certification Rules
- CTE Presentation
- TEKS Review Timelines & Processes
- Reading Comprehension, Elementary Science TEKS, Proclamations Overview, Texas Resource Review
- Public Hearing on High School Science TEKS, watch the video here: https://tea.texas.gov/node/102883
27 January 2021 ~ Committee of the Full Board
- Commissioner's Comments
- Proposed Amendment to Graduation Requirements (Second Reading and Final Adoption)
The amendment allows students to demonstrate proficiency in certain communication skills required for graduation beginning in 8th grade. TXSBOE voted in favor of this amendment.
- Action Item. Consideration of Petition (from Jarwanza T. Norris) requesting that the Texas State Board of Education adopt United States History Studies Before 1877 and offer the course to all high school students. TXSBOE voted in against this because this course in an 8th grade requirement.
- Discussion of proposed High School Science TEKS - Discussion on proposed new courses: Aquatic Science, Adopted 2021 (One Credit); 112.48, Astronomy, Adopted 2021 (One Credit); 112.49, Earth and Space Science, Adopted 2021 (One Credit); 112.50, Environmental Systems, Adopted 2021 (One Credit); and 112.51, Independent Study in Science, Adopted 2021 (One Credit). The proposed new sections would update the standards to ensure they remain current.
- Discussion of Proclamation 2023 - This item provides an opportunity for the State Board of Education to discuss the schedule of events and instructional materials to be included in Proclamation 2023. Instructional materials submitted in response to Proclamation 2023 would be scheduled for adoption by the SBOE in November 2022.
- Action Item - English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS) update - This board may provide additional guidance to TEKS and ELPS review work groups. The Board had no additional guidance for workgroups.
- Discussion - Rule Review - The rules being reviewed address the development and administration of tests, voluntary assessment of private school students, the schedule for the release of tests, and administration and reporting of group-administered achievement tests.
28 January 2021 ~ Committee Service Work
Committee on Instruction - we have re-elected Chairwoman Sue Melton-Malone (R- Waco). Our Vice Chair is newly elected Member Audrey Young (R - Apple Springs).
- Action Item. Proposed Amendment - This item presents for first reading and filing authorization a proposed amendment to update the rule to require documentation of the new graduation requirement that a student complete and submit a free application for federal student aid (FAFSA) or a Texas application for state financial aid (TASFA). Texas Education Code (TEC), §§7.102(c)(13); 28.025(e); and 28.0256(a), as added by House Bill (HB) 3, 86th Texas Legislature, 2019. The Committee voted to postpone this to provide more time for ISDs to meet this requirement.
- Action Item. Proposed Approval of Innovative Courses. This item recommends approval of innovative courses that do not fall within any of the subject areas of the foundation or enrichment curriculum. The course before us this morning is Community Transportation, out of Fort Worth ISD. The Committee approved this Innovative Course for an additional five years.
- Action Item. Approval of Update to Instructional Materials for Learning A–Z. Learning A–Z is requesting approval to update content in its adopted product Raz Plus ELL Texas Edition, grade 5. The updated content has been reviewed by curriculum subject-area specialists and determined to address the pertinent student expectations in a manner equal to the content initially reviewed and approved by the state review panel. The Committee voted to approve this update to IM.
- Action Item. Approval of Substitution of Instructional Materials for QuaverEd. QuaverEd is requesting approval to substitute instructional materials in its adopted product Quaver Pre-K Curriculum. The substituted content has been reviewed by curriculum subject-area specialists and determined to address the pertinent student expectations in a manner equal to the content initially reviewed and approved by the state review panel. The Committee voted to approve this substitution to the IM. Additionally, because this substitution is requested due to a loss of license, the Committee of Instruction has requested staff to research and present to us in the April 2021 agenda, the following: how often has this occurred and what is the financial impact to classrooms/ISDs as a result of this loss of license.
- Discussion Item. The proposed repeal would implement House Bill (HB) 3, 86th Texas Legislature, 2019, which removed the State Board of Education's (SBOE's) rulemaking authority related to instructional arrangements in special education. Click here to review the presented document.
Click here to review all TXSBOE Committees, Committee Members, and Committee responsibilities.
29 January 2021 ~ Meeting of the Texas State Board of Education
It is my distinct honor and privilege as the Secretary to read the first Invocation of 2021, at the Texas State Board of Education. The prayer below was inspired by Jesuit Father Leo O'Donavan's Invocation read at President Joe Biden's and Vice President Kamala Harris' inauguration ~ as well as Jennifer Lopez's Spanish recitation of a portion of the United States Pledge of Allegiance:
Gracious and merciful God, at this time we come before you with hope, and with our eyes raised anew to the vision of a more perfect public education system for every student in Texas - one that welcomes, provides safe spaces, and and secures the blessings we know each child deserves.
We are a Board comprised of and representing many races, creeds, and colors, national backgrounds, cultures, and styles.
We pray that you, O Creator of All, would assist with your spirit of ‘holy counsel and fortitude, that this Body might be conducted in righteousness and be eminently useful to your people.’
Today we confess our past failures to live according to our vision of equality, inclusion, and freedom for all.
Yet we resolutely commit still more now to renewing the vision, to caring for one another in word and deed, especially the least fortunate among us, and so becoming a light for all.
There is a power in each and every one of us that lives by turning to every other one of us — a thrust of the Spirit to cherish and care and stand by others and above all those most in need. It is called love and its path is to give ever more of itself.
Born not of power and privilege, but of care for the common good with malice toward none and with charity for all.
We beg of you the wisdom Solomon sought when he knelt before you and prayed for an understanding heart so that we know the difference between right and wrong.
We trust in the counsel of the letter of James: "If any of you lacks wisdom you should ask God who gives generously to all without finding fault and it will be given to you."
Pope Francis has reminded us how important it is to dream together.
“By ourselves," he wrote, “we risk seeing mirages, things that are not there.
Dreams, on the other hand, are built together.”
Be with us, Holy Mystery of Love, as we dream together - una nación bajo Dios con libertad y justicia para todos.
To the glory of your name forever. Amen.